Skip to content

How to join

You can join the CAAV as a Student member while studying full-time, or as a Probationer member if you are in relevant employment, gaining practical and theoretical knowledge under supervision. Both give access to the website, News Letter, publications and e-Briefing.

Probationer members and CAAV Fellows must also belong to at least one Local Association in the area where they practise. Student members may choose to join a Local Association but there is no requirement to do so but it is helpful if on sandwich year placement.

As a Probationer member, and as a Student member who joins a Local Association, you can attend events and meetings organised by your Local Association.

Fellowship (with the letters FAAV) is obtained by passing the CAAV’s practical, written and oral examinations. As well as the qualification, Fellows have the legal privileges of being able to prepare tenancy agreements and other documents for Farm Business Tenancies and to undertake disposal reports for charities.

Further information on each class of membership and the application process may be found here.